Wednesday 29 February 2012

Humility

The Webster's Dictionary defines

HUMILTIY as: the quality or state of being humble and

HUMBLE as
 
1: not proud or haughty : not arrogant or assertive
2: reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission <a humble apology>
3a : ranking low in a hierarchy or scale : insignificant, unpretentious
 
I chose these words to try and express my deepest gratitude to everyone who was kind enough to support me in attending specialized training in Building Conservation in Rome. I really can't thank each of you enough. Many came to my steak night and I got to have a visit and chat about the importance of conserving our built cultural heritage. Others made donations. I raised approximately $3000 which will cover the costs of my accommodations here in Rome. Please know that your generosity and kindness is so very much appreciated.
 
Now on the my adventure to date. I flew out of Regina yesterday and landed in Frankfurt on the morning of the 28th. Little did I know that there is a strike going on at the aiport there and I was the lucky recipient of a canceled flight. The ground air traffic controlers are the ones on strike so they can greatly make a mess of trying to get a plane into or out of the airport. There was a flight leaving in 10 minutes to Rome and I could make a run for it and try to catch this flight or take a later flight at 4:30. I chose the later flight, but still attempetd to make the early flight. Now what is going to happen when you are trying to rush through a completely unfamiliar airport. One you have to use the washroom which you can't find and 2) security decides that maybe you are a terriorist and should have your bag opened and your camera wiped for explosives residue. They did decide I was no threat and yes I still tried to limp through the airport using the people movers as much as possible to make a flight I knew has probably left without me. Guess what it did! Oh well now to turn around and go back the way I came to try and get on the 4:30 flight which is over booked and there is no guarentee I am going to get a seat on. Good thing for me the people who had confirmed seats were not going to make the flight because of the strike so I got a seat just as boarding commenced. The flight was about 2 hours and really not that eventful. However the snack they fed us was amazing. It was this soft delicious bagette with butter cooked right inside of the dough. Small things amuse this small mind after many hours of travel and fatigue is setting in. So to continue, I arrived in the enternal city and had no problems getting a taxi to my hotel. There was a package from ICCROM waiting for me so that gave me some quick reading material for the rest of the evening. I got checked in and unpacked, then since for me it was suppertime I went for a wander around the neighbourhood. I headed to a lovely pizzarrea and ordered some pizza to take back to my room. They cut their pizza with scissors just so you know. I then picked a nice red wine out of the coke cooler with a coke as well and walked back to my hotel to have supper and digest the fact I was actually in Rome. Wow.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Yikes - an airport strike no fun - landed in Paris in the midst of one years ago. But missing your flight on top of it that's just stress. Good to hear everything was good once you landed with scissored pizza and wine!

    ReplyDelete